Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #1: DIY home made hair mask

So I suffer from the dreaded "dry hair" syndrome. I'm trying to grow my hair out and not only do I have to deal with it being very fine, but I have to find ways to keep my hair healthy and moisturized.
I love any excuse to use my measuring spoons

So I came across this DIY home made hair mask that's made of Honey and Olive Oil.

Seems simple enough, and the "all natural" note suckered me in.

I had my doubts though, so let's see if the mask came through for me.

My poor dry  hair :(



What you'll need:

-A bowl
-3tbsp of Olive Oil
-1tbsp of Honey 
-Microwave
-Gloves (optional)
-Comb (optional) 
-3o minutes of your precious time

Step 1: Mix 3tbsp of Olive Oil and 1tbsp of Honey in a microwavable safe bowl. I recommend pouring the olive oil first so when you use the same measuring spoon for honey, it will slip off easy!

Step 2: Microwave for 30 seconds
Remind me to clean my microwave
Step 3: Mix the honey and oil together. I didn't have any problems mixing the honey (heavy) and oil (light) together, but if you do, try microwaving a little longer then whisking as fast as you can!
Step 4: Get your hair wet, then pat it dry with a towel. You don't want it dripping, but you don't want it lightly damped either. Just imagine you got out of the shower and you dried your hair for like 30 seconds. 

Step 5: Work the mask into your hair. I didn't use gloves, but you can if you don't like the oily stickiness on your lovely fingers. Also make sure you're somewhere you don't mind making a mess, cause I for sure made one. 
Thank god I just cleaned my toilet

Step 6: I'm kind of anal, so I wanted to make sure I got the mask all over my hair. So I combed it through, but be careful because this is when I made most of the mess


Step 7: Now that's it fully incorporated, you cover it. I didn't have a shower cap so I just wrapped my hair in 3 12inch sheets of plastic wrap. 


Step 8: Wait 30 minutes. I made my lunch for work, browsed tumblr & instagram and before you know it my timmer went off. 
Step 9: Rinse and repeat. I have short hair so it didn't take me long to wash out all the honey and oil. I was worried that if I washed my hair then the entire mask treatment was for nothing. I figured the shampoo would wash all the oil out and leave my hair dry as usual. 

Once I got out of the shower and dried my hair I did notice that it was pretty shiny and felt really soft. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So did I love it? 

Kinda...

I assumed the oil would make my hairy silky and shiny, just as the natural oils in your hair do. This might be good for someone who just dyed their hair or has been damaging it a lot (blow drying, flat ironing, curling, etc), but not for the average joe. 

My conditioner does a better job and I don't have to wait 30 minutes wrapped in plastic and having honey and oil drip all over me. 

Note: wear clothing you don't care about
Would I do it again?

Maybe every other month. I do like that it's a "natural" product as opposed to my chemically produced conditioner. I do like the fact that I got to use my honey, I think it missed me. I do like the shine I got from the treatment

I didn't like having it drip down my neck (I absolutely hate things on my neck), I didn't like that I had to wait 30 minutes, I didn't like mixing it in my hair.

Overall I'm glad I tried it, but I'm sticking with my conditioner and maybe trying this hair mask in another couple of months. 

Questions? Comments? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!

<3 Josue





1 comment:

  1. Love that you are doing this Josh! Perhaps you would like to try out a less runny hair treatment. Check out: http://ladyinplum.blogspot.com/2012/01/home-remedy-moisturizing-hair-treatment.html

    P.S. You might want to look into having a Bloglovin account. Its a great way to expose your new blog and have a feed of blogs you already love and follow. ;)

    ReplyDelete