Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #4: Cork board makeover

Growing up, a majority of us had a cork board in our room. Covered in tragic homecoming photos, old movie stubs, and concert tickets from bad bands we used to like. I bought one earlier this year and it was so sad, just sitting there all plain and cork like. Don't get me wrong, I love me some natural cork, paired with some cute ass cream wall? Yes please!

Well I just painted my wall mint, and that cork was a no go! I saw this pin and some chick covered her cork board in this cute coral fabric with white geometric designs, then she used pushed pins to create a faux upholstery finish. So my search for fabric began and here's how I did it...



What you'll need:

-Cork board
-Fabric
-Spray Adhesive
-Scissors
-Push Pins
-Staple Gun


Step 1: Get your fabric! It took me MONTHS to find something I wanted. I know I wanted grey, and I wanted chevron. I went to three fabric stores, and of course I end up at the pricey one! My mom always said I was born into the wrong family. She's a hater...

I walked in, saw the walls covered in fabric and I died. I could've spent hours there, but I had work in 30 minutes and I had to bike my ass down to Folsom & 7th from Union square. After a few moments I came across this fabulous grey chevron fabric and I bought it within 10 minutes. Impulsive much? Whatever! I got a yard and a half, and spent too much. I looked at it as an investment piece.

Step2: Measure your fabric and cut that sucker up! Leave a little extra cause you'll need to fold it over and staple


Step 3: Iron the fabric, get rid of those wrinkles!


Step 4: Spray your cork board. The adhesive helps the fabric stick, and it limits the amount of air bubbles. Very Important!!!! If you're using a pattern make sure you align it! I made that mistake and it's a tid bit crooked. Oh well! Use your hand to smooth out any air bubbles. 



Step 5: Now it's time for the most tedious, time consuming, thumb splitting part. Pushing over 200 thumbtacks into your cork board. I chose a nickel finish. I could've finished in a day, but I wanted to give my little thumbs a break.





Step 6: Now once all your push pins are in place, it's time for you to staple your fabric to the back of the board. Pull the fabric taut and place a staple every few inches.


Step 7: Almost done! Now you need to hammer in some hanging hardware. I used the cute little teeth guys and some nails.



Step 8: Drill holes into your walls, put in a couple of screws and then hang! 


I'm really anal about it being leveled, so make sure you make sure it's straight. 
 There you have it! A more grown up version of the cork board. I decided to see how all my necklaces would look on it. It's cute, but probably just temporary. I'm in the middle of re-painting some shelves and going to make a some type of jewelry storage. (post soon to follow)







Now would I recommend this pin? Absolutely! Let's say you have plain walls because your landlord won't let you paint, or maybe you have too much color and need some soft neutrals to balance everything out. The board will help tone down bright walls or add a nice pop of color/pattern to your wall.

Here's some recommendations! Next time I would look around for some cheaper fabric. Although I'm in love with the one I have now, I didn't like the dent it left in my wallet. I'm a broke post-graduate who has to pay rent! So try looking online for some deals, check out when your local fabric store is having a sale or any kind of coupon deals, or just thrift it! Find a XXL large shirt or dress and use that!

Take your time! Especially if you have a pattern, this is will be on your wall for a while and you don't want to loom over the fact that you didn't align something or that your pushpins didn't line up with each other.

Good luck with your makeovers!

Questions? Comments? Feedback? I would love to hear from you! Also, feel free to follow me on Pinterest, Tumblr, & Instagram!

<3 Josue


1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I did one similar for my jewelry but I was super cheap and used wrapping paper to cover my cork board.

    ReplyDelete