Monday, October 8, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #5: Terracotta Cake Stand


I've been eyeing this Cake Stand pin for a few months now and I'm happy I finally did it. I will say though, that through the process; I wasn't having a lot of fun lol. Mostly because I chose this weird yellow spray paint and it was just ruining my life. This pin was fairly easy and you don't need that much stuff either. Plus you can customize your own cake stand however you want. Here's my how-to...




What You'll Need: 
-Terracotta Pot (I used a 3inch pot)
-Terracotta Saucer (I used a 10inch saucer)
-Spray Praint Primer
-Spray Paint
-Glue
-Painters Tape (Optional: for designs)

Don't forget your tape and other colors!


Step 1: Glue your pot and saucer together. I used gorilla glue, so I got a wet paper towel and dampened the areas where I was adhering my pot & saucer. This type of glue is activated by moisture, and be sure not to use too much because it does expand. No one wants a big puffy mess coming our of their new cake stand.




Once you glue them together, put some weights on the stand and wait a couple of hours. Go do some of that laundry that has been piling up, or start baking so you can use your cake stand when it's all ready. I would just go on Tumblr and Instagram, but I say follow your heart.


Make sure to weigh it down


Remember not to use too much glue!


Step 2: Once your glue has dried, grab your spray primer and spray that puppy down. I know what you're thinking...and the answer is "NO!", you cannot skip this step. Your regular spray paint won't adhere to the clay if it's not coated in primer first. I did 3 coats, but two should be fine.

1 coat

3 coats



Step 3: Spray your first coat of spray paint. I used this butter yellow color (that I soon regretted). I did about 3 coats. Make sure you spray evenly so you prevent any drips or uneven looks. I didn't really like the results. I was able to see cracks from the clay and this yellow wasn't coating evenly....even after 3 coats! So I had to figure out a way to fix it.




Step 4: Use another color if you like, to create patterns and add some variety to your cake stand. I used another color to cover up my mistakes! This time I went with a bright glossy red! Oh and what a difference it made! Use your painters tape and make some stripes, chevrons, or whatever your creative mind desires!


The stars didn't work out in my favor, so I just painted over them again lol


Made a huge difference! 


Step 5: Now you can either clear coat (not sure how food safe that is), use some parchment paper, or cut a circle of scrapbook paper out to lay on the top of your stand. Now it's ready to use! Place your cookies, cupcakes, or hardware cupcakes like I did!



Made a little Display at Work

I used a Styrofoam ball, wall spackling tinted with red paint & mini nuts


^_^


There you have it! Your own custom cake stand! 

Now would I recommend this pin? Absolutely, it's pretty simple and you could do this with the youngsters. I would even suggest getting mini clay pots from Michael's and making mini versions for their dolls...but that's a separate pinterest challenge. 

It was pretty inexpensive and could be finished in a day!

Questions? Comments? Feedback? I would love to hear from you! Oh and please feel free to follow me on Pinterest, Tumblr, & Instagram. 

<3 Josue

p.s. If you're in the SF Bay Area, please come by Speedy's Hardware to check out my display! We're located at 1061 Folsom St. between 6th & 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment