Friday, October 26, 2012

Pinterest Challenge #8: Pumpkin Candy Jars


So this original pin was just some terracotta pots painted, turned upside down and displayed as little jack-o-lanterns. I already have enough pumpkins at home, so I wasn't about to add more s#*@t  to my already cluttered porch. The tutorial is very simple, and you could finish it in a day. Here's how...

What You'll Need:
-Terracotta Pots
-Terracotta Saucers
-Primer Spray Paint
-Orange Spray Paint
-Wooden Knobs
-Browm Paint
-Black Paint
-Paint Brushes 

Step 1: Spray your saucer and pot with primer, and NO you can't skip this step. The spray paint won't stick to the clay. I did about 2 coats, and it dried in about 30-40 minutes.


Step 2: Once your pieces are dry, spray them with your orange spray paint. I used a "Pumpkin Orange" Gloss, how fitting right? I did two coats, and make sure to spray an equal distance so you don't have any streaks. Set aside and let dry for 4-6 hours.



Step 3: While your pots are drying, paint your knobs. They had little holes in the back, so I stuck pens in, the I just dipped them into my paint so that it had a more even tone. I used a pot full of nuts to help balance the pens. Next time I would use rice, or beans.


I laid paper towels down so I wouldn't drip everywhere

All I had was screws when I was drying...


Step 4: Now that the pots are dry, draw little faces on them with sharpie, then paint in with regular paint.



Step 5: Now it's time to glue those painted knobs on the saucers. I dabbed a little glue on them, put some pressure on them for a little while and let them dry for 3 hours.




Now you're all done! Yay! How cute are all these little jars?! Just fill with candy and hand them out as gifts, or just display them around your house.


Would I recommend this pin? Yes! It's one of those last minute decorations that will last you for years! Plus they're functional! They're really easy to make and pretty inexpensive.

Questions? Comments? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you! Oh, and feel free to add me on Pinterest, Instagram, & Tumblr. All of my links are on the side of my page.

If you're in the SF area, stop by Speedy's Hardware on 1061 Folsom St. to check out my pots and the rest of my Halloween display!

<3 Josue

***Note: These jars are not food safe, I would not put any loose food items inside of the jars. Just wrapped and package candy like the photos above. You could also spray the inside with a clear coat if you don't want any dust from the clay pot on your wrapped candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment