Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gold Leaf Pots

I saw this pin a while back and at the moment I'm going through this metallic phase, so I thought I should give it a shot.



I've never worked with gold leaf before and it was a little easier than I thought it would be. Key word being "little".

Here's What You'll Need:

-Gold Leaf
-Gold Leaf Adhesive
-Terra Cotta Pots
-Brushes
-Wax Paper (Optional)

Your Pot:

I had some chipped and broken pots laying around (and by laying around I mean I bought them a few days ago and chipped them myself) and I thought the gold leaf would look great around these broken areas. Highlighting the chipped sections turning them into eye catching scars. (I'm poetic)



Gold Leaf:

Gold leaf is a very thin material. It will float out of your hand, crumble into a million flakes, and tear like a Mother @#$$%&%*....

Basically this pretty paper is extremely delicate.



So normally, they suggest using wax paper so that the gold leaf can adhere to it and allow for easier application.

I didn't have wax paper (oh and parchment paper doesn't work...don't ask), plus I wasn't going for a clean smooth finish anyways so it ended up working out in my favor.




I got the gold leaf and the adhesive at Michael's, you can get it at any craft store.

Setting Your Gold Leaf:

So this is the fun part...well as fun as gold leafing pots can get.

Think about where you want your gold leaf, and how you want it positioned on your pot.



Use a brush to spread the glue around the areas that you want to gold leaf. Long strokes and angular designs work really well. 

Let the glue get tacky for about a minute and then place a sheet of gold leaf over the sticky glue. 


Using a clean dry brush, smooth out the sheet of gold leaf. 


Now start brushing away any excess. It will flake off fairly easy so don't be too rough or you'll scrape off more than you intended. 


Keeping scraping off until it's all smoothed out and no excess sheeting is left. 


Pretty simple huh? Just keeping adding more gold leaf by repeating the steps and then let it cure for about 6-12 hours. 


Now you can add some greenery...



Questions? Comments? Feedback? I would love to hear from you!

<3 Josue 

1 comment: