Sunday, August 18, 2013

$1 Desk Upgrade

Lately i've been getting inspired to redecorate my room. I've been helping a friend upgrade his room and it's been getting me really excited to do something different in my space. I graduated college last year and I'm looking for a more mature theme.

I've been going back and forth with themes and now I feel like I'm left with a bunch of conflicting ideas. I've always wanted to go the minimalistic route and have white walls, raw wood shelving, and pops of color throughout the room. Unfortunately I'm into really fucking pretty things and I'm also a hoarder. So...that's not happening anytime soon. Anyways...I decided to upgrade my desk. I took my dad's desk when I moved to San Francisco. Before I moved it up here I had to re-do it, and I fell in love with the end results! It was also featured on Design Sponge and Apartment Therapy! Well after a few years I got tired of it and I wanted something different.



So if you haven't checked it out yet, you should hop over to Design Sponge and check out my Dad's 1970's desk transformation.

Here's the link!

You can't see the top of the desk, but here's a photo I took. I just put some vintage looking postcards under the glass.

Before

I was going through this shabby chic phase...don't judge me I was young.

Well, I was shopping in Target a few months ago...and by shopping I mean I was going in for toothpaste and ended up buying 20 other things. While browsing the dollar area I found some really cute wrapping paper.


When I got home, I grabbed the roll threw it in my closet and forgot about it for a few weeks.

While staring at my dull desk, I thought it needed an upgrade. Something easy, just so I could get those post cards out of my face. Don't get me wrong, I think they're really pretty, but it's been over 3 years and I needed something new. I wasn't trying to paint that desk again anytime soon, so I figured I could just put something else underneath the glass. Then I thought..."oh I'll use that paper from Target."

My baby trying to help!

The paper was pretty close to the same width as my desk. I only had to do a little trimming!


All I did was, unravel, cut, and top with glass.

I had to think about how I was going to cut the paper without leaving it looking haggard or messy. So I decided to use an x acto knife.


To avoid damaging my desk, I placed a thin piece of cardboard underneath the paper (not pictured). I used a cereal box, it was thin enough to slide between the paper and the desk. I also placed the glass on top to add weight and hold the paper in place. The glass also acted as a straight edge, to help cut a clean straight line.

There you have it!




It only took about 10 minutes and it cost me a $1. Not bad...

Eventually I'd like to paint the desk again and give it a well deserved upgrade, but this will do in the meantime.

All there was left to do was to decorate! My favorite!





Topped it with some trays for rings, lush products, and cologne. Then added some dried flowers, plants, and of course a terrarium!

I love this little bud vases!




What do you guys think? Questions? Comments? Feedback? I would love to hear from you!

< 3 Josue

No comments:

Post a Comment