Monday, December 2, 2013

Mini Hanging Planters

It's December...and yes I'm STILL talking about plants. I think I'm just in denial that it's getting colder and plants are shriveling up. 

I've had these 2" Ivy plants that I got from work for almost 2 months now and I still haven't potted them. I bought some mini terra cotta pots, but with all this humidity in San Francisco all my clay pots get moldy and no one has time for that. 

I was doing some organizing at work and I noticed these really big "O" rings and thought I could hang my mini ivies with them. I've seen a lot of different ways to hang plants, a lot of crocheting, knotting, etc. I wanted to incorporate all these pretty embroidery flosses that have been sitting under my bed, but I didn't want to JUST knot them over the pots. So I just took an O ring and tied 3 long pieces of embroidery floss and then I had some mini plant hangers.



Take a look...

What I used:

3- Ivy plants
3- Terra cotta pots (3")
Embroidery floss
Metal O rings (big enough for my pots)
Scissors
Spray paint
C-hooks (for hanging)
Beyonce Playlist (not optional) 


First I spray painted the pots with a flat white (Krylon)




I did about 3 coats...



I like the flat white, it makes it look ceramic. 

Now it was time to dust off those embroidery flosses that have been longing to be used...


All the pretty colors! I cut three pieces of floss, all about arms length, I have a pretty tall window, it's also better to over-cut than under-cut. 

I took each piece and triple knotted them onto the O ring. Snip off the excess and repeat. 






Try to keep the monster away from the floss! He was ready to pounce....or just ready to lay in any kind of open box...

Cashew Cat
After I tied all the pieces, I screwed in a C-hook into the window frame and then tied my planter to the hook. 



That's it! Pretty simple and excluding the time I waited for the paint to try, this only took me about 20 minutes. 

What do you think?















My roommate said it was like looking into a garden.


I'm so happy for my medusa fern too! Look how big its gotten! Only 2 months time!

Before
After

Questions? Comments? Feedback?

Have a wonderful December everyone! Now it's time for me start Christmas crafting!

< 3 Josue

No comments:

Post a Comment