Friday, December 27, 2013

Winter Time Essentials




In SF we are breaking some record cold chills. Last week it was in the mid 30's during morning commutes. I'm talking ice on buildings, and air that burned your face when riding your bike. I'm not complaining though, at least we don't have to shovel snow. #gratitude

Just because it's cold, doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking care of our bodies. These temperatures are the times that they need it the most. Dry winter skin, chapped lips, and peeling cuticles are not the business...I mean what would Beyonce do? Probably moisturize, drop a secret album, and then go to bed. 

Here are a few of my favorite things... (clockwise from top left)

1. Santa's Lip Scrub ($8.95): I've been a big fan of Lush's lip scrubs for a while now, I've been using Mint Julips since last year and I love it. This winter they came out with a new flavor, and let me tell you...I just want to spread this S#%@T on my hands and lick it off. Santa's lip scrub tastes like cherry cola, and I love that it's a little more dense than my previous sugar lip scrubs. Every morning after a shower I take a little dab, scrub my lips, and lick the rest off. My lips feel soft and fresh, and it's been a huge help this winter. 

2. Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm w/ Mango Butter ($3.30-$5.00): I've never been a big fan of Chapstick. Whenever I used it I felt like I had this horrible residue all over my mouth and that was not cute. It's funny because Burt's nourishing lip balm is very creamy and normally that would bother me. I think because it actually works itself into your lips, it doesn't create a thick coating that makes you feel like you have Vaseline on your mouth. It smells great, and after a few days I noticed a huge difference from my dry chapped lips. 

3. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen ($9.99): Just because it's winter doesn't mean the sun can't damage your skin. The rays are still out there, they're definitely weaker than the sun in mid July, but they can still give you sunburns and damage your skin. Think about snowboarders or skiers, if you'v ever ridden or had a friend who does, sometimes you might notice a tan line around their goggles. So make sure you add a little on your face when you go outside. This little guy has seen some mixed reviews. If you visit the Aveeno website, you'll see that this lotion/sunscreen is a replacement for a former "Continuous Protection" sunscreen. I've been using this sunscreen for 2 years now, and I love it. It's creamy and doesn't leave a greasy residue on my skin. I love that it's both a sunscreen and moisturizer, it smells great, and it definitely helped me from getting any sun burns this summer. I've used it on my face, and I haven't had any breakouts or rashes. Obviously I'm speaking about my skin, and we all have different skin types, so use cautiously and watch for any kind of skin irritation. 

4. Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme ($6.00-$7.99): This....this Cuticle cream is my salvation. Before I bought this little container 3 years ago I was like "Who the hell needs cuticle cream?" That is nonsense...well after day 1 it was like angles came down from heaven and there was a beautiful light shinning on my newly moisturized cuticles. Not only does this smell amazing, it also REALLY works. I work in hardware and my hands are constantly getting roughed up and I'm also washing them over and over and it's not working in my favor. The dry, cracked, and brittle skin around my cuticles were begging for some kind of moisture. I highly recommend you invest in this! It's not greasy like other cuticle creams (I've used Lush's Lemony Fluttery, and it was not the business). It leaves a great scent on your hands, and it's also really good for the the heels of your feet, and dry elbows! 

What's your favorite winter time essential? 

-Josue


1 comment:

  1. my favorite winter time essential is hugs from my boyfriend

    ReplyDelete