Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's Spring!

Finally! Spring is here, and I couldn't be happier. The days are longer, the weather is warmer, and everything sucks just a little less.

In honor of this momentous occasion, I decided to get brave and try growing my own herbs.



If you haven't already noticed from my Instagram feed...I kind of have a plant obsession. First is started with succulents, then it went to air plants, and then I got ambitious and started collecting house plants.

I guess it was only a matter of time until I started growing from seeds.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Until then, let me show you how I pot plants.


First you'll need:

-Pots
-Soil
-Rocks
-Seeds/Plants
-Coffee filters/Newspaper
-Measuring cup or scoop for soil (Optional)
-90's R&B playlist (Not optional)

Grab your coffee filters, get them wet, and tear them to pieces. I like using filters because they allow water to drain through the bottom of the pot, and they keep the dirt and rocks from falling out.






Next, grab some pebbles and drop them in the bottom of your pot. I use this trick when I'm potting succulents for terrariums. It will help with the drainage, which won't leave your roots rotted or soil soggy.






Now add your soil...


Time for some seeds!

Chives

Basil

Thyme
Poke some holes into your soil and add 2-5 seeds in each hole. Some of the seeds will be duds and you'll want to plant a little extra, but don't plant too many or it will cause the seedlings to be over crowded and they won't grow.

Cover with a little extra soil, and feel free to label your pots how ever you want...just in case you forget which seeds are in which pot lol. In my case I opted for colored chalk.


Now add some water to your pots, let them drain completely, and set in your windowsill.



Now cross your fingers that these little bastards grow...oh...too much?


I'll try to keep you posted on a weekly basis. I planted these babies 3-16-14


xoxo

Josue

Update: 3-23-14

My thyme has sprouted! It's a little woo woo, but it will take some "thyme"..........(crickets)



No comments:

Post a Comment