Sunday, March 16, 2014

Night Stand Make Over



A couple of years ago I found this little cutie at a thrift store for $20, I took it home with big dreams of new paint, new hardware, and pretty drawer lining....2 years later all I did was a botch job at sanding.


In my defense, I ended up really liking the sand job look, so I decided to keep it that way.

Exceeeeeept I didn't like all the new water rings it obtained while I recklessly set my moist water glass onto its luxurious raw wood surface.

So I had a vision...paint the top gold! Think of the glamour...the sheen....the beauty...

Well...6 months later I found some paint and finally did it lol





I used "brite gold" metallic finish from Ace



I needed to sand the top a little before I started painting. I used a fine grit sandpaper (220) and just swiped a few passes at the top of the nightstand. I used a lightly damp cloth to get rid of the dust residue, then I used a piece of tack cloth and picked up any left over specks of dust. If you're aiming for a clean, smooth finish then you should always use a tack cloth. All it is, is just a piece of sticky cloth that picks up any dust residue. It will leave you with a clean and smooth surface to apply paints, stains, and finishes.



Once my surface was ready, I shook my can of paint (it's an oil base, so the chemicals will start to separate), and then poured some paint onto the nightstand. Then I used a nap roller and evenly coated the nightstand until it was covered with gold.




I let it dry and then added a second coat.






Here's the finished product! What do you think?





Later I will add a top coat, either a lacquer or some polyurethane. I was too lazy to move it onto my roof to paint, and the fumes from the gold paint were enough for me to take a break and add the top coat later.

Questions? Comments? Feedback?

xoxo
Josue

No comments:

Post a Comment